Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2603) "show diagonal roads/rails" option doesn't work

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2603) "show diagonal roads/rails" option doesn't work
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 14:40:00 -0700

[jdorje - Wed Dec 18 06:49:16 2002]:

> This option isn't supported at all in iso mode.  But even in non-iso
> mode it appears to be broken.

The attached patch "fixes" this for iso-view.

Problem 1.  This option is awful!  It looks really bad and you often
can't easily tell that two tiles are connected.  This applies to both
iso and non-iso view.

Problem 2.  In both cases (roadstyle 0 and 1) "diagonal" is defined
relative to the map grid, not to the tileset.  So in iso-view "diagonal"
roads/rails are actually those that go up/down/left/right.  This could
be fixed by calling map_to_gui_dir on the direction, but the extra
function call would probably just make the option useless.

Personally, I'm in favor of dropping the option.  But I'm told some
people still us it, so we might as well make it work passably.

jason