Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) borders patch feedback
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 08:15:20 -0700

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 07:48:19AM -0700, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Ben Webb wrote:
> > How about we just don't draw borders along coasts? SMAC doesn't either.
> I don't understand, then. If SMAC did not draw borders in the ocean and we
> do, surely _where_ we draw the oceanic border is an irrelevant point in
> regards to SMAC compatibility?

SMAC does draw borders in the ocean, but it doesn't draw them along
coastlines. I guess you're supposed to assume that they follow the
coast. My point was that comments so far have been along the lines of
"it looks silly" rather than making any specific points about whether
ownership of specific tiles is going to have any effect with regards
to diplomacy etc. Simply not drawing these borders along the coastlines
removes the "looks silly" argument.

Where we draw the border is irrelevant for SMAC compatibility, sure. But
I haven't heard any convincing arguments for me to change the code.
Every time we've done that so far, somebody else has complained that they
don't like the new behaviour. ;)

> Not drawing the coastal border is confusing, IMHO, but it is an option.

It makes the display less "busy", and I've never had a problem in SMAC
of identifying which bits of land are owned by which faction, so it
can't be all that confusing.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx         http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it."