Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#725) Order of end/new-turn activities

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#725) Order of end/new-turn activities
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 01:07:17 -0700

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 03:17:40PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> [rfalke - Wed Mar 26 14:03:11 2003]:
>
> > We won't need such a long list like the URL above. Lets try to start
> > one:
> >
> > This list is by no means complete and also doesn't reflect the current
> > behavior.
> >
> > > Is making it a true turn based game a priority then? As i understand
> > > it, making it one would eliminate a variety of problems...
> >
> > Formalizing the new-turn activities is a priority. Removing/disabling
> > the real time aspects during a turn isn't afaik.
>
> I mentioned earlier in this discussion that there are different types of
> dependencies in the end-of-turn actions.  I'd like to add that since
> inter-civilization dependencies are definitely possible (even without
> gen-impr the obsoletion of wonders is such a dependency) I think rather
> than doing all events in order for each civilization, we should do all
> events in strict order.
>
> You've given a pretty full list of events.  But I hope we may be able to
> divide these up into categories so that each category has no conflicting
> dependencies.  The order could then be something like:
>
> * Pre-turn events
>   - savegame
>   - gameover check

Should be before the new round starts.

> * Game events
>   - pollution

should be made after citygrowth

>   - fallout
>   - barbarians

new barbarians should be placed in the same phase where other new units
are created.

>   - spaceships (?)

should be pre-turn before gameover check.

>   - reputation
> * City update
>   - city stock (food+production)
>   - rapture update
>   - city growth (rapture/granary check)

Thats the biggest problem.

I think the cities should produce all (shields, trade ...) and after
that the different checks:

growth, tradeoutput, production

new buildings/techs have no effect for the old round

> * Tech update
>   - research addition

>   - great library check, etc

Lets change it in wonder check

before the research:
  wonders have the full effect for the old round

after the research:
  wonders would have no effect although the player is counting the
effect. (happiness problems because obsoletion)
  great lib would get techs which had no time to spread over the world

> * Upkeep update
>   - tax income

Income after growth? The city was size the hole last round and now you
get taxes for size 2?

>   - "potential gold" calculation
>   - improvement upkeep (up to potential gold amount)
>   - unit upkeep (up to potential gold amount)
>   - building sales (as needed)

When we have gold upkeep for units we have to disband units too.
(why don't give autodisbanded units in cities shields when disbanding
them?)

> * Production update
>   - Upgrade production
>   - Build units/buildings

Should new build buildings have effect for the old round or not?

> * Unit update
>   - Leonardo

Is a wonder should be done in the wonderphase think before the new techs
are ready.

>   - Heal units
>   - Away-from-base checks:
>     - Destroy out-of-fuel planes
>     - Decrease helicopter HP
>     - Destroy trireme

Should be done at the end of the last round, (lighthouse effect)

> * Reset events:
>   - Reset movement points
>   - Refuel planes
>   - Reset unit flags (moved, paradropped, ...)
>   - Reset city flags (did_sell, ...)
>   - Reset city values (city production)
>   - Reset research values

ok

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.