Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Build road to space command

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Build road to space command
From: "Geeslaka Geezonga" <geeslaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:57:34 -0700

When I tell a engineer to build a road from its current position to another
position it will choose a non-optimal route.
Ex 1.  The engineer is on a river space with a railroad.  There are two paths
to the space, one crosses four grassland/river spaces, the other crosses
several railroad spaces and three grassland spaces.  The
engineer builds the road across the four river spaces rather than the three
grassland spaces.  It appears to me that the path is decided based on movement
costs.  It should be based on road build costs because the
engineer stops on every space to build a road, which means move costs
insignificant.
Here's the example in ASCII art:  R=railroad  |=river  G=grassland
GGRRRR|G
GRGGGG|G
RGGGGG|G
RGGGGG|G
GRGGGG|G
GGRGGG|G

Ex 2.  I have not researched bridge building.  When told to connect two spaces
with a road it will try to build a road on any river square its path crosses
rather than taking a small detour.
ASCII art again:  -=river  e=engineer  p=space to build road to g=grassland
ggpg
---g
gggg
ggeg