Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4311) UI bug in GTK Client 1.14.0 for Linux

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4311) UI bug in GTK Client 1.14.0 for Linux
From: "Preben Randhol" <randhol@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 02:35:43 -0700

Hi

First thanks for a great client. It is very nice and easy to use
interface. However there is one old UI design flaw in it. This is the
right justified Help menu. In the old days one believed this to be a
good idea but it isn't.

The reason can be shown in this                                      way
to illustrate that the eye will                                     stop
reading when it find empty space                                   after
what looks to be last word and                                      jump
to the line below.

I think Windows used this extensively in the old days, but they have
since changed. Also Gnome applications do not use it anymore. The reason
is that the right justified Help menu hides the help and it is not
considered good user interface design.

I have actually (and I swear I'm telling the truth) used the client for
over a week now and *today* I discovered the help menu. I have looked
for it several times and I was a bit puzzled that there was no help after
Report. I discovered a help button in the city dialog window and I have
been clicking on cities in order to get to the button and look up in the
help for a week now. So for next version it would be great if you could
just change the right justify to left. It is one line in the source
code. If you want a patch please tell me, I'll get the source and make
one.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

--
Preben Randhol                    http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/