Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4212) GTK2 client crashes for non-local $DISPLAY (

To: cameron@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4212) GTK2 client crashes for non-local $DISPLAY (?)
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 13:05:14 -0700

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Cameron Morland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two computers, a Sparc5 with two 8-bit framebuffers acting as one
> display, and an Intel box with one 16-bit framebuffer. Both are running
> Debian/testing, but I always run Freeciv on the Intel box. If my
> $DISPLAY is set to the Sparc using the GTK2 client, it dies in this manner:
>
> Program exited with code 01.
> (gdb) break gdk_x_error
> Function "gdk_x_error" not defined.

You need libraries with debugging symbols on.
You should also set the breakpoint before running the program IIRC.

> I suggest the problem is either the 8-bit display, the non-local
> display, or the merged two screens. I can't easily distinguish these;
> I'm hoping someone who knows something about GTK or X might know how to
> fix it. This was not a problem a week ago, nor is it a problem with the
> GTK or Xaw clients, so I'll use them.

To me it seems your problem is that GTK+ 2.0 requires the RENDER extension
for some thing and your SPARC X11 server does not have RENDER support in
it.
The fact you are running your client with libraries compiled in one box
and outputting in another box suggests this problem.

Try running your client with 'export GDK_USE_XFT=0'.

Please elaborate on this not being a problem a week ago. Was this also
with GTK+ 2.0 using CVS? Are you using HEAD or S1_14?
Did you upgrade GTK+ or X11 in any box in the meantime?

Anyway this is most likely a GTK+ issue. Not a client issue.

---