Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4212) GTK2 client crashes for non-local $DISPLAY (?)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4212) GTK2 client crashes for non-local $DISPLAY (?)
From: "Cameron Morland" <cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 12:06:35 -0700

Hi,

I have two computers, a Sparc5 with two 8-bit framebuffers acting as one
display, and an Intel box with one 16-bit framebuffer. Both are running
Debian/testing, but I always run Freeciv on the Intel box. If my
$DISPLAY is set to the Sparc using the GTK2 client, it dies in this manner:

cjmorlan@slh:~/src/freeciv$ gdb client/civclient
GNU gdb 5.3-debian
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "i386-linux"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/home/cjmorlan/src/freeciv/client/civclient
2: No real audio plugin present, proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install either esound or SDL_mixer
2: Esound: http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
2: SDL_mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html
2: LANGUAGE="c"
The program 'civclient' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 503 error_code 186 request_code 154 minor_code 8)

Program exited with code 01.
(gdb) run -- --sync
Starting program: /usr/home/cjmorlan/src/freeciv/client/civclient -- --sync
2: No real audio plugin present, proceeding with sound support disabled
2: For sound support, install either esound or SDL_mixer
2: Esound: http://www.tux.org/~ricdude/EsounD.html
2: SDL_mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/index.html
2: LANGUAGE="c"
The program 'civclient' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 988 error_code 186 request_code 154 minor_code 5)

I tried its advice, but I guess I didn't do it quite right:

Program exited with code 01.
(gdb) break gdk_x_error
Function "gdk_x_error" not defined.

I suggest the problem is either the 8-bit display, the non-local
display, or the merged two screens. I can't easily distinguish these;
I'm hoping someone who knows something about GTK or X might know how to
fix it. This was not a problem a week ago, nor is it a problem with the
GTK or Xaw clients, so I'll use them.