[Freeciv-Dev] Re: game modification

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: game modification
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:55:08 +0100

> A mode like this could be implemented in freeciv by only allowing gotos,
> instead of regular moves, and making the gotos go in steps, as you proposed.

Most of my multistep moves and many of the critical one-step moves
are already executed with goto.  Moving units step by step is
just too slow in many cases.

I think an easier way to implement end-of-turn-only movement is to
let civserver queue up all incoming move requests until end of turn,
then resequence the queue to be fairer and execute the moves.
However this would make it impossible to move a unit step my step.

> A replacement for regular (keypad) movements would be a line following the
> path taken, and a half-shaded/semi-transparent version of the unit where it
> currently would be moving to.

That would solve that problem.  But it would require some GUI design.

> It might also be nice to lay out different
> goto paths for every unit on the screen (maybe in different colors), so you
> can see exactly where your other units are moving to, to coordinate them
> more easily.

This might clutter the interface too much.

--
Reinier