[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3513) GUI is unresponsive while handling network e

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3513) GUI is unresponsive while handling network events
From: "Raimar Falke" <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 00:52:59 -0800

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 11:52:24PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> While the client is in the network loop, no user-interface events are
> handled.  This means operations like closing popup windows and redrawing
> areas that have been invalidated (e.g., by being covered by those popup
> windows) don't get done until the end of the network loop.

The only way I know to avoid this is to use multi-threading. However
this will only solve this problem partially. The network thread will
set the data to an inconsistent state in a regular way. The GUI thread
however won't be amused about inconsistent state. This is a normal
problem of multi-threading programming. It is solved by locks. But
even when we would use threads and locks I don't think the result will
be complete since most of the network code will be run with the lock
held. So little gain for a lot of work.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Make a software that is foolproof, and only fools will want to use it.