[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2985) Bug Report: Gen 5 creates no swamps

To: cp@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2985) Bug Report: Gen 5 creates no swamps
From: "Karen Yeats via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 18:02:39 -0800

Hello

That's quite amusing; I don't remember noticing that before.
(I wrote gen 5, if you're wondering who I am).

The problem is that the terrain placing functions (which I didn't write)
are bad in that they use magic numbers (like maxval * 60 / 100 in the
swamp case) which aren't necessarily correct for all generators or all
possible choices of parameters (a related bug, if you use gen 1 with
landmass 85 you'll notice that the swamps are often well inland, the
same magic number is the problem here).

I have a largish rewrite of the terrain placing functions (PR #2749
principally with #2748 and #2750 also related) which would fix this
among other things.  Of course the administrators may not end up putting
it in.

If they end up not going for it I could make a quick fix for this
problem alone.