[Freeciv-Dev] Obsolete Civ 2 difference list

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Obsolete Civ 2 difference list
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:25:07 -0800 (PST)

It's considerably out of date. The outright wrong and likely incorrect bits:

>The Great Wall Wonder does not force other nations to offer cease-fire or
>peace. There is no concept of peace between nations.
                              ^^^^^
Only with the AI can you not have peace. And even that is changing.

>To simplify implementation, the number of terrain specials was reduced. Where
>Civilization II has 21 specials possible for 11 terrain types, Freeciv has now
>12 terrain types with exactly one special possible for each. A terrain square
>either has, or lacks, the special for that terrain type. Unlike Civilization
>II, in Freeciv, once a player has seen a terrain square, that nation will
>always see what is in the square.

All wrong. FoW was introduced a long time ago, and terrain specials and tiles
are now identical to Civ 2.

>The government type Fundamentalism is not implemented, nor are Fanatics.
>Several balance changes have been made to other government types: A Despotism
>has no limit on the number of military units per city devoted to martial law,
>and a Communist government now has modest but invariant corruption. Settlers
>and Engineers have changes in the support they get from cities. Corruption in
>Freeciv loses only trade points, but not production points.

Wrong. We have waste now. Also, a lot of this stuff is implemented in the Civ 2
ruleset.

>After starvation, a Granary will restock itself to half full. A Supermarket in
>Freeciv increases the food production of all irrigated squares; the
>Civilization II concept of double-irrigation does not exist.

Wrong.

>The units Elephants, Crusaders, and Paratroops are not in Freeciv. There are
>no Barbarians in Freeciv, and Villages will not produce them. Fighters will
>not defend cities from attacking air units. Units other than Marines may not
>move directly from sea units into undefended cities. Airbases no longer exist.
>The Nuclear unit requires only Rocketry, without Nuclear Fission as well.
>Partisans are only created for the original owner of a city. The chance of a
>Trireme being lost at sea is always 50%, not modified by other advances.
>Diplomats and Spies do not (yet) get advantages from veteran status.

Freeciv has Paratroopers. Barbarians exist, Fighters defend from attacking air
units, airbases are created, and Trireme behaviour is identical to Civ 2.
Diplomats and Spys benefit from vet status.