[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#469) bug in metaserver?

To: lino.mastrodomenico@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#469) bug in metaserver?
From: "Reinier Post via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 08:29:03 -0800

Debugging revealed that the problem is at the sending end:
civserver doesn't appear to separate the info string from the other
information if it is too long.

This (indirectly) caused the subpage for such a civserver to be
worthless - it would display a fragment of the info string instead of
this "other information".

I have included a workaround in the metaserver to repair this.
(It appears to have been present in earlier versions but was
removed later.)  It has been tested with 1.13.0 and 1.14.0.

I will not guarantee proper operation with all previous civserver
versions; the packet format seems to have changed between versions
and it is undocumented so there really is no way to do it right except
by exhaustive testing of everything since 1.8.0.

The real solution is to move to the new HTTP-based metaserver written
by Vasco and Paul.