Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2479) Change version string of development version

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2479) Change version string of development versions
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:34:18 -0500

Reinier Post wrote:
On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:10:17AM -0800, Raimar Falke via RT wrote:

Another alternative would be to have a file which is committed
after/with every normal commit. This file contains something like:

#define MASTER_REVISION="$Id 1.45$"

and at runtime we build a version string ("1.14.1-45" for example)
from this.

Reinier: is this possible? How much work required?

It is simple - so simple that I think we can actually rely on its
correct operation.  But I'm not going to publish the details on RT.

This is a better as it allows shorter version numbers.  Its version
number would always be x.y where y is autoincremented by every commit.
And x can be kept identical to the Freeciv patch version number.
That way a full version can be generated out of it (1.14.1.3766)
that uniquely identifies the contents of the code base.  That would
be very useful.

The only technical question is whether multi-file commits should be
treated as a single one.  (We have looked at this before but I'm not
sure what the best answer is.  Some clients produce sequences of commits
on individual files but with the same log message that lists all of them.)

Excellent.  I am all in favor of this.

BTW: it should be 1.14.99, not 1.14.1.

Rather than have the file contain '#define MASTER_REVISION="3766"' I think it should just contain '3766'. We can then do something like

  VERSION_LABEL=`cat master_revision`

in configure.ac. OTOH this may make the version.h bits harder (if they can't rely on the master revision value and AC_SUBST is not possible).

One question: how useful will the version number be? Would it be more useful to have a date, that could be used for cvs up -D? (The date would be that of the CVS repository right after the most recent commit.)

jason