Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple alliances was: Re: another fix

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Multiple alliances was: Re: another fix
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:52:45 -0500

At 07:40 PM 03/01/06 +0100, Christian Knoke wrote:

>> > You mean: allied(A,B) && allied(B,C) && at_war(A,C)
>> >
>> > Just a thought:
>> >
>> > Given allied(A,B) && at_war(A,C). Why is whatever(B,C)-->allied(B,C)
>> > possible at all?
>> > So we can avoid having ally and enemy on the same tile.
>>
>> The same situation would arise if allied(B,C), non_attack(A,B), war(A,C).
>> So you get a non-attack city and an enemy unit on the same tile.
>
>So if A wants to attack B's city with C's unit in it, he has to declare
>war. That's no big deal. But C can attack A so he better moves off <g>.
>Where's the problem?

I agree, there is no real conceptual problem. Alliance prevents attack
but ZOC rules prevent entering. C has made a good tactical move and B
is a scumbag for allowing it :-).

A should also have the option to push B to dissolve his alliance with C
which if done would cause the unit in question to be transported home.

If A declared war on B, the A unit would likely be transported home
instead, and no attack would be possible.

>> Note that this is only a problem for not-at-war _cities_ with enemy units
>> in it - other stacks with variously diplomatic aligned units is not a
>> problem.

I'm not sure I understand this unless there are separate rules for
stack attacks that allow you to pick the target. Even then I would
treat the tile the same is the city case above unless there were some
subtle reason that escapes me. Attacking a tile containing units you
are not at-war with should at a minimum cause a state of war with all
such units. This is usually preceded by a do you want to declare war
dialog, which means there is a state of war at the time of the attack
move.

>In the first example, above, when A's unit is in B's city, C is _and_ is not
>allowed to _move_ (not attack) into B's city.

The ZOC rules should always take precedence, or conversely should not
be ignored/suppressed in cases like this. This is just a technical
issue to make sure it always works that way.

>Christian
>--
>Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/

Cheers,