Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2674) Freeciv Setup.

To: arinath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2674) Freeciv Setup.
From: "Andreas Kemnade via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 05:31:35 -0800

I'm not a lawyer, too. I just have pratical reasons.

So I'll explain my opinion:
I just want to be able know what these executables do. That's
important for answering bug reports.
And I want to be able to reproduce these binaries.
Other people want to be able to do that, too.
Such an installer script should be made once and then be
reused on more releases than one.

Why there were only zipfiles for 1.13.0?
zip files are much easier to create. I can create them under linux or
solaris and can be sure that no virus infects the executables during
packaging. Of course, I test these zipfiles on a real windows after
that.

I simply did not see the need for a setup.exe

But now I see that such a setup.exe is a bit nicer and will build such
things.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade