[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2626)

To: reinpost@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2626)
From: "Reinier Post via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:24:35 -0800

A status report on Freeciv for Cygwin:

  http://cygwin.com/

The current Cygwin distribution, 1.3.17-1, can be installed by
going to the URL above, clicking "Install now!" and selecting
a couple of things, including a selection of packages to install.

If you select the right packages, this will provide an X server
(XFree86), and everything that is required to compile Freeciv.
It provides the Xaw and Xaw3d libraries, but no GTK+.  (GTK+ can
be installed with a separate installation process.)

The standard ./configure && make install sequence attempts to build
the Xaw client with the Xaw3d library.  This fails on the step of
linking civclient, because of multiply defined symbols in Xaw3d and Xt.
This may be due to the subclassing Freeciv does on Xaw; I haven't
investigated.

The sequence ./configure --with-xaw && make install works fine and
produces the Xaw client.  Clearly it will report on any missing
packages, but installing them is as easy as rerunning the setup
programming and selecting them.

The Freeciv versions I tested were 1.14.0-beta3 and the Dec, 21
development version.  I haven't managed to compile with the additional
GTK+ libraries yet.

There is a recipe on the site for building a package to use with the
setup program.  I think it would be good to provide one as soon as the
setup program supports GTK+ installation.  This is coming.