[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2591) Re: (PR#2597) Re: Nondenominational calendar

To: esr@xxxxxxxxxxx, sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2591) Re: (PR#2597) Re: Nondenominational calendar patch
From: "Cameron Morland via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:25:50 -0800

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:21:16AM -0800, esr@xxxxxxxxxxx via RT wrote:
> Cameron Morland via RT <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > > That is a *weird* secondary use that I've never seen before.  Primary use
> > > is
> > > "mot discriminating between religions".
> >
> > Um, No. Not in EN_UK, not in EN_CA, and personally, I don't give a damn
> > about EN_US, but I'd expect it to agree.
> >
> > OED => "non-denominational, adj. not restricted as regards religious
> >         denomination"
> >        "denomination, n. 1 a Church or religious sect" (the other defs
> >             relate to currency or weights.)
> >        "sect, n. 1 a body of people subscribing to religious doctrines
> >     different from those of others within the same religion; a
> >     group deviating from orthodox tradition, often regarded as
> >     heretical."
> >
> > So "denomination" refers, by these definitions, to various Christian
> > splinter groups, ie Churches or bodies subscribing to different doctine,
> > but within the same religion.
>
> Eh?  Where does the OED say anything about "Christian splinter groups"?
> It says "adj. not restricted as regards religious denomination".
> I think you are reading it incorrectly.

A denomination is a Church (ie a Christian religious organisation) or
a sect, ie a group of people of the same religion, ie Christianity.

In a certain sense, any Church except the Roman Catholic Church can
be considered a splinter group, it's just that many of them were formed
a long time ago, during the Reformation.

I'm catching a flight in a few hours, so I probably won't run fetchmail
again until January. I can't say any more now.