[Freeciv-Dev] Re: nation annotations

To: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: nation annotations
From: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 13 Dec 2002 16:36:26 -0500

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 15:43, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> I have sorted the Freeciv nations into "Modern", "Historical" and
> "Fictional".  Are any of the client hackers interested in revising it
> so the nations in the nation-selection dialog are categorized?

Remember that it is the server that reads the ruleset.  So it must send
this data to the client - you'll need code to add it to/read it from the
packet, a new optional capability, etc.

> If so, I have a patch ready that will give each nation a "class"
> attribute. The idea is that the class attribute should become the
> category name under which that nation uis presented,

What about i18n?  The category names need to be translated at some
point.  It can be done at the server or at the client.  Both have
problems.  You may wish to look at what other code like this does (where
are unit names translated?).

> This patch also created "legend" attributes, very short histories
> of some nations.  My thought is that the legend for the currently
> selected nation could be shown in a text box below the selection dialog.

This sounds good - but also will need to be i18ned.  (And it will be a
lot of work for translators, but...)

When you say "attribute", you mean simple text, right?

> (Yes, this is because I want to get my "Barsoom" ruleset in there.)

This is something which has been discussed for a while.  Code to do it
would be welcome.

jason