[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improvements in dithering

To: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Improvements in dithering
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:40:52 +0100

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 04:05:31AM -0500, Jason Short wrote:
> * Whether a blending mask ("dither") is used.  Currently this is "yes"
> for iso and "no" for non-iso.  Note, it is possible to introduce other
> blending mask options as well.

IMHO this isn't needed for the civ3 system.

> * Whether eye candy sprites are provided.  Currently this is "no" for
> both iso and non-iso.

IMHO this isn't needed for the civ3 system.

> Note, the use of the options above in a tileset are mostly trade-offs.

> You can get a better tileset by including more sprites.

Ack.

> Or you can keep things simple and focus on having better-looking
> sprites.

I don't understand. IMHO the current sprites of trident are very nice.

> However,
> there are some options (generally those used by the current non-iso
> case) that just aren't good for anyone.

> So, how can we get a good tile blending, with a lot of possible
> combinations for tiles, without having to draw 1500 tiles?

IMHO is the only option to get better blending (I think that the
current one is quite good) to include more sprites. IMHO no amount of
code will produce the nice blendings as seen on some civ3 screenshots.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  +#if defined(__alpha__) && defined(CONFIG_PCI)