[Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeCiv as statistic-tool?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: freeCiv as statistic-tool?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 17:29:14 +0100

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:15:30PM +0100, michael zoellner wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am a student at the fh wuerzburg germany (communicationDesign) and
> working on a project called "realtime information graphics". one goal is
> to use games to show realtime statistic. yet i managed to use quake 3.
> screenshots: http://dev.m05.de/echtzeit/02_11_18.htm
> project homepage (german) http://dev.m05.de/echtzeit/

A really weird idea.  I hope I can summarize it correctly as follows:
everywhere you look on the net, large quantities of data are flowing,
and these data contain information, i.e. they are highly non-random.
So we can "measure" the structure in the data, e.g. collect statistics,
and display the results in real time, as the data being measured
are flowing.  For example, we can use a game for this purpose.
In the above example, Quake is not used as the source of the statistics,
but as a tool to visualize the results!  A possible source is, for
example, the search behaviour for a big search engine.

> now my question: do you think its possible to use freeCic to visualize
> this realtime content? to add and remove bots/ai or objects from outside
> the game via script or api?

The Freeciv code is not really suitable for this, but it can be done.
But what kind of data do you have in mind that allow themselves to be
visualised with Freeciv?  Do you want to draw maps?  Do you want to
use units and cities and what would they represent?

Or do you want to collect and display information about Freeciv games?
We already do this at

  http://civserver.freeciv.org/

--
Reinier