[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2028) Re: (PR#2217) Isotrident 17 and morecities p

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2028) Re: (PR#2217) Isotrident 17 and morecities patch
From: "Jason Short via RT" <rt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:45:10 -0800

Daniel L Speyer via RT wrote:
> Here's trident support (new cities.xpm attatched):

Cool.

BTW, the tilesets should now be in PNG form.  But it's a little
complicated, since any tileset that's to be read by the XAW client
should be a paletted PNG, and shouldn't use too many colors.  There are
GIMP palettes for Trident and Engels lying around somewhere (which will
probably be invalidated by the addition of new colors for the new cities).

Of course, not all tilesets have to be readable by the XAW client.

I converted all of the CVS current tilesets to PNG with help from Vasco.
    But it is quite possible you can make a "better" conversion, which
would be great.  In any case the new graphics will have to be converted
before they can be put into CVS.

> Can you specify what's wrong with the degradation?  Apart from the massive
> quantity of European cities (which is what we have now anyway).  I didn't
> quite understand your statement.
>
> --Daniel Speyer
> If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
> kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
> phrase "software piracy."

1. You set "-" for the graphics_alt for the Asian and Tropical city
types.  This doesn't get loaded properly in tilesets that don't support
these new cities.  Instead one of the old city graphics should be loaded
in its place, by specifying the graphics string for that city set.

2.  This is currently unavoidable, but it's unfortunate that in tilesets
that don't support the new city types the new city types will appear,
they'll just use the "alternate" graphics.  A better long-term solution
might be to specify an alternate city type instead of graphics_alt -
that way if the graphics were not available the city type would just be
merged into another one, and the degredation would be completely
unnoticable.  But this is a question for another day.

jason