[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RFC: new implementation of island numbering
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:55:52 +0000

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 12:58:37AM -0500, 蔡恆華 wrote:
> Question: how often do we rely on continent information (in same or
> different) to decide what to do during gameplay?
> At least for gen234, you can easily make an accurate guess.
> Can we allow this minor cheat by having server sent its continent
> number to all the clients? This simplifies everything.

I believe this is how things used to work. It's certainly simpler this
way, but I'm undecided about whether it's "better".

> Besides Building, City, Island, Player, World as effect range,
> there should be one more - History.

What would a "History" range effect do?

> This is for wonders like Apollo and Manhanttan.

Apollo and Manhattan both work just fine with persistent World-range
effects, in the current implementation.

> I was in the line of thinking range Island and above should only be
> allowed for wonders.

        I don't see any real need to enforce such a restriction - but
giving non-Wonders World-range effects can lead to a confusing game
(since the other players won't know where the effects are coming from).

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"The dog did nothing in the night-time." "That was the curious