[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Replace XPM files in misc/ and t

Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] jdorje: Replace XPM files in misc/ and trident/ with...
From: Jason Dorje Short <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 18:55:34 -0500

Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa wrote:
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

We still need to convert the isotrident files to PNGs.  Since these will
never (in the forseeable future) be used with the XAW client, we don't
need to make them paletted PNGs.  So I could just run 'convert' over
them.  Or is there a better conversion mechanism?

It is still a good idea to make them paletted PNGs because:
a) the tiles use less than 256 colours.
b) paletted PNGs are much smaller.

You may either use the GIMP or a tool like pngquant on a regular 24-bit
PNG to achieve this.

Are there any disadvantages to useing a paletted PNG? Are they slower to load, for instance?

pngquant does not always give good results. For instance, "pngquant 256 nuke.png" gives me a nuke with a black (not transparent) background. I don't know why.

What is the process to do the conversion with the GIMP? I can have it "generate an optimal palette" with 256 colors. Should there still be no dithering? What does dithering mean, in this context?

jason