Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PNG for freeciv

To: <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PNG for freeciv
From: "baumans" <baumans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 23:07:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <vze49r5w@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 8:23 PM

> Jason Dorje Short wrote:
<snip>
> There is an additional problem in that XPM uses palettes.  PNG can also,
> but XAW is apparently relying on the fact that the palettes are the same
> between the different graphics files.  If you simply use 'convert' to
> change all of your XPMs to PNGs and then change them right back, XAW
> will not work.
>
>    [jdorje@debian:~/src/freeciv/freeciv]$ ./civ -t trident
>    2: Ran out of colors -  trying with a private colormap.
>    0: Private colormap ran out of entries -  exiting.
>
> This could be a significant problem.
The png library has functions to dither the images to use a specific
palette, but I'm not sure if we could do that with imagemagick.

> -----
>
> I also forgot to mention another "alternative":
>
> 5.  Find a way to use PNG directly with XAW.  This would be in all ways
> superior, but may not be possible.  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.
It seems quite possible to me.  As for easy, I have no clue how x pixmaps
work, but it might be possible to read the png to a regular x pixmap in
freeciv (if we're lucky) in the file loading function, a relatively
unintrusive change.