Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: paypal

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: paypal
From: Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 08:35:25 -0800

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:31:00PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2002, Martin Willemoes Hansen wrote:
> > I will remove the paypall link from the frontpage, if nobody objects ..
> > I do this since I do not feel we can trust paypall to be a secure enough
> > service for us to use.
> >
> > Ill do this in a couple of days so please if you do think we should
> > continue to use this service speak up.
>
> *speak up*
>
> Leave that decision up to Paul, please. He is the closest thing we have to
> a treasurer and he is the one with the expenses.
>
> Also, the risk from using PayPal can be minimized by emptying the
> PayPal-linked account regularily and ensure that it cannot be overdrafted.
> Despite being really sucky, it is (almost) all we have so far. Amazon is
> really sucky since it takes 15%.
>
> It would be really nice if people could help Paul set up alternatives,
> though.

I have looked and there aren't really any good alternatives.  Most of
the ones that are mentioned are domestic (i.e. .us) only.

We aren't keeping any money in the PayPal account, only accepting money
through it.  I am keeping all the money in a Washington Mutual checking
account.  I have been in contact with PayPal's customer service
department and they have been very informative.  I see no reason to
remove the link from the webpage.

--
Paul Zastoupil