Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: HELP wanted: ruleset debugging

To: Freeciv Developers ML <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: HELP wanted: ruleset debugging
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Sep 2002 12:16:41 +0200

On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 01:34, Miguel Farah wrote:
> I have version 0.1 of my _Mare Infinitus_ modpack ready. I playtested
> it, and found something strange: some of the city improvement effects
> are "shifted" one building up: the city requires an airport instead of
> an aqueduct to grow beyond size 8; building a granary yields the
> effects in food production of the harbour, and so on.

Perhaps you don't consider that building effects are hardcoded and thus,
modifying the ruleset means a little more than nothing to freeciv?

This is an old and known problem, ruleset seems to let you freedom on
whatever change you want to make, but this flexibility isn't true in the
code, not to say that the AI will come out crazy for this...
(but this is a secondary effect!)

If you have the time and the passion, you can enjoy the gen-impr patch,
that Ben is carrying on and that aims to solve this problem.
(At the moment the patch isn't included in CVS and perhaps there will be
some time before this will happen, but I hope that you will use that
patch and as a modpack writer, any suggestion/observation you can send
about that patch, will be welcomed by Ben)

> I had a look at the ruleset files, and couldn't find anything wrong
> (that, of course, doesn't mean there isn't a mistake there - only that
> I didn't find it, if it does exist).
>
> I'm using Freeciv 1.13.0 (Win32 build). The rulesets are modified from
> the original defaut/*.ruleset files. No source code modification
> whatsoever.
>
> Attached, you'll find a .ZIP with the rulesets, and a saved game.

I haven't look at your attached file, if you want to use modified
improvement you need to use the impr-gen patch, if you don't need that,
you can revert back the order and number of the improvements of the
default ruleset.

> Thanks.

        Ciao, Davide