Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds: midi national hymnes for diplomacy?

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gerrit Holl <gerrit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds: midi national hymnes for diplomacy?
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:36:11 -0500

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:28:22PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> > I have a proposal. As sound, midi's of the national hymne could be
> > played. These are not GPL but free of copyright. The gameplay moment
> > this could be done is when diplomacy is done with a certain nation, and
> > for example when a nation splits in civil war (the new countries' hymne
> > could be played).
>
> The songs themselves may be public domain, but any composition of them in
> MIDI form will surely be copyrighted unless explicitly stated that this is
> not the case. Can you find public domain MIDI versions of all those
> nations?
>
> > A problem of this is that many nations are not present nations, and it
> > has a political problem in some cases, but I think the idea is not bad.

No the idea's not bad at all, but the logistics of the 'political' problem
is nasty. This is the same reason why I'm not inclined to tackle the idea
of creating, say, Pakistan in particular after India has a civil war.

> Flags are a headache already. I personally want them replaced with
> something more neutral and generic.

This idea draws the ire of me. I personally like the flags _very_ much. It
personalizes the nations much more than the name of the leader or nation.
After all, you get to see the flag much more often.

-mike