Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation Selection Dialog (Resubmit) [Patch] (PR#2057)

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Nation Selection Dialog (Resubmit) [Patch] (PR#2057)
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Mike Kaufman wrote:
[snip]
> > > o it'd be really nice if you could highlight the toggle button when a
> > >   nation is selected from the drop down box.
> >
> > AFAICT, this is already there
>
> no, but I played around, and it is not easy (I don't mean depressing the
> toggle button, I mean putting a border around the entire button (with
> flag) or changing it's background color), I'll let Vasco deal with this.

Hmm, I see what you mean.  The real problem is that standard gtk
checkboxes aren't really the visually appropriate design here.  Just for
an experiment, I've coded an alternative, using button reliefs.  It's the
sort of thing that most GUI-texts say never to do, and I'm tending to
reject it, but here it is anyway (the code for it still needs cleaning up
-- I'll only bother if this idea is worth progressing with).

Screenshot at http://dspeyer.student.umd.edu/nationDialog-myradio.png

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."