Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoattack

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: autoattack
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 20:17:55 +0200

On Mon, Sep 02, 2002 at 12:20:53PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> I say we remove the autoattack code.
>
> Reasons for:
>  - the code is crap, it doesn't really work

I always imagined it would just touch units adjacent to the city, which
can be useful.  But I never tried it, it doesn't seem to have a manual.

>  - if it did work, it would consume a lot of CPU generating all those
>    warmaps
>  - nobody uses it
>  - not even the AI
>  - nobody cares to update it or fix its flaws
>  - it should be done in the client... or wait, no that would be cheating

Unit modes that are known son the server side (goto etc.) are more or less
accepted.

>  - it is a stupid idea anyway

Not sure, enemy units adjacent to the city are a specific problem.

> Reasons against:
>  - uhmmm... can't think of any

Ask the author, I think it was dwp.

--