Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: normalize_map_pos and invalid map positions

To: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: normalize_map_pos and invalid map positions
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 22:36:06 -0400

At 11:09 AM 02/08/22 -0500, Jason Short wrote:
>Ross W. Wetmore wrote:

[...]
>Very nice explanation, Ross.  I only disagree with you on one point:
>
>> Any real coordinates are fine. They are always fine as they can always
>> be normalized on the fly with comnplete safety in all cases. They are
>> never wrong, and can never be made more wrong. Any other interpretation
>> is pure religious hogwash used to justify an unnecessary constraint.
>
>This is not true.  In the vnotify_conn_ex case, it is certainly not true.

As usual, your argument is based on what you would like reality to be
rather than what it is. But it isn't worth the hassle to pick it apart
again. I leave you to your reality :-).

[...]
>This is what the current vnotify_conn_ex does.

Incidentally, the recent patch to vnotify_conn_ex() is quite badly
broken. I don't think I would have any problem in crashing a freeciv
server running this if I were of sinister inclinations.

>jason

Cheers,
RossW
=====