Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Add new feature to server: unique c

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jason Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [FreeCiv-Cvs] per: Add new feature to server: unique citynames. A...
From: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:18:06 -0400

 Per I. Mathisen [13/08/2002 22:09] dijo/said:
>On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Jason Short wrote:
>> I know this was discussed when the patch was originally proposed, but I
>> missed it when a final solution was decided...
>>
>> Under setting 3, how are things handled if two nations share a city
>> name?Note that this will eventually happen if the list of names gets
>> long enough, not just from overlapping civilizations.Just as one
>> example, many American cities are named after English ones (although I
>> don't know if any are in the American ruleset yet).
>
>I didn't follow this discussion. From looking at the source, it appears in
>such a case, neither player would be allowed to use this name.
>
>However, I do remember that we discussed and agreed that having cities
>called the same in rulesets was a bad thing and should be avoided.

I seem to have missed that discussion, because I strongly disagree with
that. After all, there are "regional" rulesets that share cities with
"national" rulesets (for example: catalan.ruleset and spanish.ruleset,
bavarian.ruleset and german.ruleset); there also are rulesets for
different nations that share cities because some of these nations were
founded by colonists from another (spanish.ruleset => argentine.ruleset,
chilean.ruleset, filipino.ruleset, for example).