Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Simpler movement rules.

To: Freeciv Development List <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [RFC] Simpler movement rules.
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:03:48 +0100 (BST)

Hi all,

The current Freeciv unit movement rules are as follows:

-- If unit has more move points (MP) than it takes to make the move, the
move is taken and the MPs are reduced by the cost of the move
-- Otherwise, if the unit is on full MPs, the move is taken and MPs are
set to zero
-- Otherwise, the success of the move is determined randomly, with the
probability MP/cost.

This last rule causes a lot of problems: non-optimal routes selected by
goto routines, huge problems with AI code, big complications for the
current path-finding effort, difficulties with bodyguard code and many
more.

In CivIII, which implemented such Freeciv features as bodyguards and route
marking for (g)oto function, they decided that it's too much problem
and no good and amended the rule to:

-- If MPs > 0, the move is taken and new MPs := MAX(0, MP-cost)

This simplifies the code tremendously.  And doesn't change the gameplay
much.

I strongly suggest that we adopt the same rule.
Please note that introduction of a server option moverule or such will
only make things worse.  The change must be done either fully or not at
all.

Best wishes,
G.