Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: 1.13.0/gtk client (PR#1823)

To: Rodolfo Borges <barrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: 1.13.0/gtk client (PR#1823)
From: Kenn Munro <kenn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jul 2002 22:51:08 -0400

On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 15:26, Rodolfo Borges wrote:
> - on the help system, for tecnologies, the printf'ed phrase at the
>    beggining of the help contents makes other important information
>    less visible. for ex, the help for nuclear power, wich says it
>    gives the sea units one extra move.
>    the fact that most tecnologies does not have an extra text
>    just makes it worse, it leads the user to not pay attention to that part.

I also agree that some less-wordy text at the top would make it easier
to catch the important information.  Something like:
Prerequisites: 10       Total bulbs: 4000
I think the "this number may vary depending on.." line could be dropped
too.

Another change I think might be useful is to have a toggle button in the
tech help that would show a big text box in place of the current tree
view (and toggle back to the tree view), unless they could both be
squeezed into the same screen.  The text box could be used for a
description (and history) of the tech.  Example: "bronze working - alloy
of copper and tin; dates back to 3000 BC; allowed improved armor and
weapons.."  Both interesting and educational.  It would require a
helptext line be added for each tech in techs.rulesets.  I'd be willing
to start putting together some descriptions if someone makes the change
to the help browser.

Kenn