Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civclient dumps core on Solaris Xaw (PR#1815)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civclient dumps core on Solaris Xaw (PR#1815)
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 05:33:02 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 12:52:14AM -0700, Rene Barbier wrote:
> I'm running the Xaw-enabled client v 1.13.0 on Solaris 2.6. After
> running for a long while in autoplay (timeout 180), it dumps core.

        Do you have a savegame that can reproduce this behaviour? It's
not clear to me what the problem could be from the stack trace.

> #0  improvement_redundant (pplayer=0x0, pcity=0x53b9a0, id=7,
> want_to_build=0)
>    at improvement.c:388
> #1  0x64d78 in update_all_effects () at game.c:1085

        This is a little odd, as update_all_effects() iterates over all
players, and so it shouldn't be passing a NULL player pointer to
improvement_redundant in the first place. Besides, it should crash when
it tries to dereference that player pointer to get the city list
(i.e. pplayer->cities).

> Problem seems to come from equiv_list[EFR_ISLAND]
>
> (gdb) p equiv_list
> $22 = {0x0, 0x0, 0x53ba9c "", 0x747548 <Address 0x747548 out of bounds>,
>  0x1dd318 "", 0x22e260 ""}
>
> although I'm at a loss to explain why it's not NULL as pplayer is NULL and
> fill_ranges_improv_lists should NULLify it in such a case. Is it a race
> problem from an async event?

        Possibly; I'm not an Xaw expert. Hopefully (for me at least, since
I wrote this code) memory corruption elsewhere is causing this
behaviour. ;) I can't see logically how it could happen otherwise.

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things."