Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: River Navigability (again)

To: Jared Blackburn <blackjar72@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: River Navigability (again)
From: Martin Willemoes Hansen <mwh@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Jul 2002 18:38:07 +0200

> Idea/suggestion:
> Make rivers navigable, at least to some ships/boats.

I would realy like to see that implemented :o)

> Either rivers should be generally navigable (perhaps
> as an option in the terrain ruleset), or a movement
> type "water" should allow both ocean and river.

The last thing about movement type would be the way to go IMHO, cause
some ships today are just too large to go up a river.

> Realistic aspect:
> Besides the local river, consider...
> * the historical accounts of the Vikings sailing up
> the Seine and Volge.
> * the fact that river transport of ground troops has
> always been of strategic importance, and the current
> movement bonus for rivers stretch believability (why
> does a barge with horses on it go faster than one with
> foot man, while presumable industrial age river
> steamers offer no benefit over ancient times).
> * the strategic effects / elements of controlling
> important rever junctions and the mouths of rivers.

Umh you got a point there. And if ships can sail on the rivers then how
can the land units suddenly have a boat?

--
Martin Willemoes Hansen

E-Mail  mwh@xxxxxxxx    Website mwh.sysrq.dk
IRC     MWH, openprojects