Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] tilted isometric tiles...

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] tilted isometric tiles...
From: Christian Stock <cstock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 14:40:58 +1000

One thing which annoys me in freeciv is that the isometric tilesets are tilted by 45 degrees. This makes scrolling quite hard. I thought about it and I think the solution is to use diamond shaped tiles rather than tilted square tiles. What I mean is that you treat each tile as a true diamond, not just a projected square. This means that units would move over the corners rather than the edges, and you get a zigzag pattern at the poles. However, the maps will be projected 1 to 1, not a 45 rotated view and the scrolling should be easier too.

Just an idea...

Cheers, Christian