[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interoperability with 1.12.1 version (PR#1558)

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Interoperability with 1.12.1 version (PR#1558)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:53:08 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 11:13:04AM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:

> Yes. But this change has changed the protocol so that it broke before
> capabilities are reported back.
>
> The attached patch also prints a nice message.

That is very nice, thank you.  I think it will really help.

Most users are newbies who don't even understand the client/server concept.
(I know this from the days when civservers used -m by default.)
The capabilities mismatch error message is too cryptic for most of them.
(It would be better to write something like 'Sorry, but the Freeciv
server you try to connect to is incompatible with the Freeciv client
you're running.')

--
Reinier