[Freeciv-Dev] Re: nation.ruleset terrain bug (PR#1554)

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: nation.ruleset terrain bug (PR#1554)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:11:46 -0500

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 11:53:18AM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:

> You think that the order of the cities in the list matters. I do not.
> I think that we have to decide: either a fixed priority for city names
> by means of a list _or_ terrain-specific suggestions. To get the first
> you can switch the stuff off (set naturalcitynames 0).
>
> As a wild guess, no more than half of the rulesets have the cities
> sorted. Are the first cities you build really the biggest later on
> in the game? Rather not. I once sorted the german cities and was always
> wondering which criteria should be taken. Size? Age? How Boring!

a solution here would be to make naturalcitynames ternary.
one would be no attention paid to terrain. a second would be no attention
paid to city order all attention paid to terrain. the third (which I of
course prefer), would make order very important for the first say
half-dozen cities, then make terrain important. For me, I want to see the
more "famous" cities right off. (But I tend to choose my nation based
entirely on this and/or how cool the flag looks).

-mike