[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Starting points in savefiles?

To: Miguel Farah <miguel@xxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Starting points in savefiles?
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:09:46 -0500

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:54:46PM -0400, Miguel Farah wrote:
> There is one thing that I've never fully understood: how do the starting
> points in the savefiles (rNNsx and rNNsy) work? If I got it correctly,
> each NN corresponds to nation NN. Now, what I want to know is:
>
> 1) what happens if I write less starting points than nations into a
>    savefile?

it seems you'll trip an assert...in any case, bad stuff it seems.

> 2) what if I want every nation to start in a random point every time a
>    game is started? So far, my tests show that omitting any rNNsx,rNNsy
>    won't work.

map.fixed_start_positions and map.num_start_positions seems to be the
variables you should attend too. see:

server/srv_main.c:1940
and
server/gamehand.c:init_new_game()

> So, how does this work? Thanks.

it's been a while since I figured this out. civworld should do the right
thing, if you fail to manually set start positions (just a blank map)

-mike