[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [freeciv-ai] Re: long-term ai goals
From: Per I Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 10:37:02 +0200 (MEST)

[sending it back to -dev]
On Sun, 26 May 2002, Daniel Sjölie wrote:
> > This handicap/bonus system should be based on points values, so that an
> > omniscient AI can fight a non-omniscient AI on "equal" terms. For example,
> > we could say that omniscience is worth the same as 4 extra initial
> > technologies or 2 extra settlers.
>
> Yes, yes, yes!
> "General handicaps" I've longed for for some time and using points (like
> in MoOII) is a great twist! I think this could make very different games
> possible if developed further... Eg, you could have a game where one
> player has rules set that make ICS impossible but has other
> advantages... How hard would it be to make it possible to set eg server
> variables to different values for different players? I guess it _could_
> be relatively easy but I don't know...

Adding player attributes by making some server options from game to player
is easy.

The problem is, how do you implement a reasonable interface to users? For
AIs, it is okay to set it all up in the server, but for human players,
this should be set through a GUI (like nation dialog) in the client. Eg
you set the number of "buy points" (or something) in the server, then you
can "shop" attributes when game starts.

Yours,
Per

"It is difficult to catch a black cat in a
dark room. Especially if there is no cat
there." - Confucius