[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Artillery and sea units (PR#1476)
From: Brandon Craig Rhodes <brandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 May 2002 18:48:40 -0400

"Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Having destroyers stand up to a sub attack sounds interesting, and this
> might make them the preferred defender. I like the scissors/paper/rock
> combat strategies that simple attack/defense modifiers really doesn't
> handle well.

I have been thinking about this very hard.  The idea of having RPS
(rock paper scissors, the order I learned them in) relationships among
various groups of units is intriguing, but can it be made to have any
historical basis?  (Ignore for the moment that we cannot model them.)
Can you think of any triplets of ancient or modern weapons that
displayed this sort of relationship?

--
Brandon Craig Rhodes   brandon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://rhodesmill.org/brandon