[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver option -s, --server HOST dont work (PR#1291)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver option -s, --server HOST dont work (PR#1291)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 11:48:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 05:27:59PM -0800, ma_wo@xxxxxx wrote:
> Full_Name: Matthias Wolle
> Version:  1.12.0-0.1 debian woody
> Client: Gtk+
> OS: Debian GNU Linux woody (testing)
> Submission from: (NULL) (217.89.130.236)
>

> the civserver option -s, --server HOST doesnt work
> I have tried to override the host specfication, but nothing changed
>
> I called civserver with tis options:
> civserver -s little.homedns.org -f
> /usr/share/games/freeciv/scenario/earth-80x50-v1.sav -r
> /home/matthias/freeciv/1civ2.serv -m -q 60
>
> metaserver tells my system as host92147072.cablelink.de and not as
> little.homedns.org
> -s IP dont work too

Many versions ago, the metaserver code itself (which is not distributed
with Freeciv) was changed to ignore the hostname supplied by the user,
and use the hostname it can derive by itself instead.

This is probably an improvement: after all, you don't want users to
lie about their hostnames.

A better idea is to make the metaserver verify whether the supplied
hostname is valid for the IP number it knows.

This has been broken for so long, it isn't urgent; but if someone
wants to fix the metaserver please let us know.

--
Reinier