[Freeciv-Dev] [Freeciv-Dev]Re: suggested ruleset changes before release

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [Freeciv-Dev]Re: suggested ruleset changes before release
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 01:04:21 +0200

        Hi all!
It is may month that I don't write in this mailing list, but I continue
to read what is happening and the announcement of the feature freeze and
the proximity of the new realese is a good news.

I dediced to write, because I read one of the last post of Per, which
says:

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 10:38:08AM +0200, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> I'd like to suggest the following ruleset changes before we release:
>  -> change tech_cost_style default to 1 (see earlier discussion)
>  -> change Communism food cost to 1 (as per Civ 2; this makes sense since
>     it is comparable to Monarchy, not Republic, and it needs balancing)
>  -> change Magellan's effect to 1 (this balancing is long overdue)

I don't want to initiate another debate on this topic, but I really
don't understand how is possible this misunderstanding of the rules of
civ 2.

Under civ II rules, communism food cost is 2!

This is the only real truth, and I can assure you in any possible way, I
played with Civ II for many years, I own an original copy of Civ II Gold
Edition and a copy of Civ II test of time, and also a copy of Civ II
scenarios (in italian).

Many month ago (in september) There have been a debate on this:
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00075.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00116.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00133.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00133.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00150.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00156.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00231.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00240.html
http://arch.freeciv.org/freeciv-dev-200109/msg00272.html

And I also opened a poll question in the apoliton forum, a place with
many civ II fanatics:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25818

Well, at the and, the CORRECT civ II rules, for food cost under
communism, is 2!

This does mean nothing for freeciv and freecivers, I know, so if you
want to put in the default ruleset of freeciv, that food cost under
communism is 1, is you choice, but, please!, don't say that it is so in
civ II!!

        Ciao, Davide.

P.S. I'm really sorry if this message seems an attacks to someone or is
not very polite, but i'm really upset with this distorsion of the
reality that possibly continues from so many month.
So, please!, try to be comprehensive with me, and don't flame me to
much.