[Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: I have written a new terrain generator
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 13:22:22 +0200

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 02:00:37PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
> At 11:12 AM 02/04/30 +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:

[...]

I haven't looked at this, but just one comment.

> But I really do like the basic simple and yet conceptually realistic approach
> to the fundamental generation here and think this is an excellent basis to
> develop further, perhaps even close to the current CVS mapgen in usability as
> it stands.

It is important to realize that the existing map generators seem to be
almost perfect from a playability point of view, and playability
is the #1 quality criterion.  Playability conflicts with realism to
some extent: e.g. clusters of identical terrain are realistic,
but they can make very unfair maps.  This means:

  + a new generator may not generate much user response
    (users are happy with the existing ones, and mainly use 2 and 1)
  + a new generator would have to be tested throughly for fairness
    before it can compete with the existing ones

Of course maps don't have to be 100% fair 100% of the time, but
something just about as fair as the present generator 1 is desirable.

--
Reinier