[Freeciv-Dev] MacroIsoTrident 8

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] MacroIsoTrident 8
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 19:21:44 -0400 (EDT)

MacroIsoTrident 8 is now available by ftp.

Many thanks to Mike Kaufman for helpful criticism, about half the changes
in this release were originally his ideas.  By and large, the changes were
either trivial, obvious on sight, or awkward to describe, so I won't
bother with a changelog.  Two changes I did not make may warrant comment,
though.

I did not return to block-backgrounds on city sizes.  I've seen them --
they look really out-of-place  with the smaller trident-based cities.  The
whole tileset is built of smaller pieces than Hires, or even (for
psycological purposes) trident, and mroe slender numbers go with that.

The health bars are the product of a disturbing amount of
test-playing.  First, I added a blue bar so that I could easily recognize
fully healed units (having messed up innumerable invasions by using
almost-healthy destroyers).  Then, I remembered how most people I
introduced to freeciv had to ask "which color is health and which is
sickness?"  So I implemented transparency.  But with only a one-pixel
black line to show fullness, it was hard to judge at a glance -- so I
added color.  After a while, I found that my mind mostly editted out the
full-health bar, and, unforutnately, it's *absence* became
unnoticable (remember that a black box and a sliver of red is not
very conspicous).  My subconscious equated extremely ill and totally
healthy units!  So I added the yellow.  And it was good.

Actually, I've toned down the yellow a bit in this release, and removed
the lacy effect that was both excessive and innappropriately connotated.

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."