[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds

To: Duane <dct2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Sounds
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 15:08:17 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Duane  wrote:
> You said that you want copyright free sounds?  Well, "ogg vorbis" is
> 100% copyright free (no patents either).  It's easy to convert all
> your sound files to ogg vorbis & I'll be happy to do so as I would
> like to become involved with the project.

Hi,

Please note that ogg vorbis is a _not_ a copyright free sound format.
There is no such thing. It is merely a patent free sound format with a
very liberal license.

Sounds for use in the freeciv project must be in the public domain or
under a GPL-compatible license. We use raw wave files, and not ogg vorbis
yet.

Yours,
Per

Ask not what you can do for your country
Ask what your country did to you
 -- KMFDM, Dogma