[Freeciv-Dev] Re: stop ai from building useless buildings (2) (PR#1362)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: stop ai from building useless buildings (2) (PR#1362)
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 14:22:26 +0200

Dear diary, on Sat, Apr 06, 2002 at 11:54:17AM CEST, I got a letter,
where "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Jason Short wrote:
> > I like the idea behind this (a lot), but I think you're going about it
> > slightly wrong.  I have always considered the handicap list as something
> > not directly related to the AI, but that could be related to any player.
>
> Not _those_ handicaps, surely.

..snip..
> > Of course, if you're just using this patch locally you can do whatever
> > you want.  But I think you should consider what the "handicaps" should
> > be before pushing for inclusion of such a patch.
>
> I think the handicaps are there to adjust ai behaviour. I think was the
> intention behind them and I think is how they should be used.

Fully agreed. I think overloading handicaps to be used by human players as well
is not a good idea. First, I don't see a point in this, as they're used to
change behaviour, not rules (as pointed out by Per), and also implementation of
that would be pretty ugly I guess. I think using experimental as an handicap is
fully appropriate.

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

.
Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else.
.