[Freeciv-Dev] Re: stop ai from building useless buildings (2) (PR#1362)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, <bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: stop ai from building useless buildings (2) (PR#1362)
From: Gregory Berkolaiko <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 20:51:43 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Changes from last patch:
>  -> some formatting fixes & more meaningful variable names
>  -> capital considered as a special case
>  -> SAM restricted to coastline of safe continents
>
> I have also introduced a new handicap, H_EXPERIMENTAL, and a new
> difficulty level, 'experimental'. This is for testing of new AI changes.
> 'experimental' is just like 'hard' but with H_EXPERIMENTAL set.
>
> So, to test new AI code, do like this:
>
>       if (ai_handicap(pplayer, H_EXPERIMENTAL) {
>         /* experimental code */
>       } else {
>         /* old code */
>       }
>
> Run a few dozen autogames to see if things improve or not. And then remove
> old code and handicap check before submitting.
>
> Here are my results from autogame pitfights:
>       experimental vs hard:    52:39
>
> Not very meaningful, but:
>       hard vs easy:            25:1
>       experimental vs easy:    38:0

how you generate terrain, randomly?

you did big samples but I guess one can also do the following:
create a terrain with two players a and b
run with a being hard and b experimental
run with b hard and a experimental

if experimental wins both times -- you got yourself a _very_ nice
improvement.

I suspect civ_world can be used to carve special battlegrounds too.

> I think that is a nice improvement. I also think it is ready to go into
> cvs now.

Could you send me the H_EXPERIMENTAL patch separately, please (unless it's
going into CVS immediately).

G.