[Freeciv-Dev] Re: client-side worklists (PR#1352)

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: client-side worklists (PR#1352)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 23:03:49 +0200

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:16:00PM -0600, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:05:49PM +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 06:33:03PM -0800, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer either
> >
> > Solution 1
> > ----------
> >
> > Global worklists have a type. This type is either:
> >  - client side saved or
> >  - included in the savegame (via "classic" worklist or attributes)
> >
> > The user can switch the type of each worklist.
> >
> > or
> >
> > Solution 2
> > ----------
> >
> > The user can export a global worklist (saved in clientrc). The
> > worklist dialog then also shows the exported worklist which are marked
> > as such but can otherwise used as normal.
> >

> no, no, no, no. you made this same objection on cma presets. There is
> simply no excuse to save what is only a human time-saver in a savegame.
> You're asking to put a lot of junk everywhere (lots 'o buttons/displays
> in the guis, switches in the server, different types of global worklists,
> etc) just to satisfy some bizarre need to maintain the status quo.
> The _only_ downside to this patch is that your saved global worklist might
> be a bit screwed up if you radically alter the rulesets. This is simply not
> a good enough reason not to do this. I can't imagine why this was ever
> server-side in the first place.

I still think that these certain types are useful for the cma
presets. I will also implement them if I find the time. I don't have
such strong feeling for the worklists.

As for the server-side: these come in two flavors: the current one
where the server knows all about the worklist and the other one (using
attributes) where it is also server-side but the server doesn't
understand it. If worklists/presets are client only the latter can be
used as a copy of the client settings (in case the civclientrc is lost
or the savegame is transferred (bug report, different accounts,... )).

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman