[Freeciv-Dev] Re: team play (PR#1350)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: team play (PR#1350)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:26:57 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 smarty21@xxxxxxx wrote:
> this is not a bug, i have got a suggestion, what i would like to see added to
> freeciv. i hope this is the right place.

It is.

> I would like to see a team mode where you and your allies command the same
> units. It should be a stronger teamwork, than allied. You make a pakt with
> your
> friend in this way and can now use his units too to fight the enemy. i do not
> know, whether it should be possible to seperate the units again, because it
> could be very unfair. (maybe many cities of one player where lost in a war ).
> So
> this could be thought of a union, where two (or more) staates become one.
>
> This mode is implementet in Starcraft(named team melee) and it was always much
> fun.

The code necessary to implement this was written and included by dwp some
time ago, but never quite finished. I doubt much work remains to finish
it, but AFAIK nobody is actually working on it. So don't expect to see it
any time soon.

> Second it should be possible to make allies from the start of the game. so
> these
> states have embassies with each other from the beginning of the game. This
> would
> not be reallistic, because you can not allie with somebody before you have
> meet
> him, but it would be good for fair teamplay in LANs. So it could be
> implemented
> as an option.

I have already already written code that implements this exactly as you
describe it. Whether it will be included in the next release still remains
to be seen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yours,
Per

"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men,
for the nastiest of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of
us all." -- John Maynard Keynes